Optional Team Manager Training:
Professor Michael Cholbi ran two trainings earlier in 2021 for Team Managers.
The two trainings addressed
- how to identify likely competition questions in the knockout stages
- helping students prepare for the competition elements (Presentation, Commentary, Response, Dialogue)
- dividing up labour and working as a team
- handling ethical theories and principles
- anticipating objections and questions
Professor Michael Cholbi has been involved with the Mill’s Cup predecessor competition, Ethics Bowl, since 2004. He has trained managers and judges, as well as serving as a judge and moderator, at both the high school and university levels. He also managed university level teams to multiple regional championships and national finals appearances.
As you prepare your team to participate in The Cup, you might find helpful the filling resources:
This document explaining how to coach a Cup team.
This document laying out a training programme that you can put your Cup team through.
These webinar videos, created for teachers managing teams in the Ethics Olympiad—the Australian equivalent of the John Stuart Mill Cup:
This video on helping your students to understand the three most commonly used ethical frameworks. Start at around 3:00 and watch until 54:00.
This video on how to choose students for your team and how to do in-class training sessions. Start at around 2:00 and watch until 38:45.